Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Second, Make a Site That SELLS!


With a great product/service, the next step to nail is a web site that SELLS!

No matter how good your product/service is, if your site is not up to scratch, you won't be able to sell anything.

Therefore, your web site is the "make it or break it" step.

In other words, you need a powerful, compelling and excellent sales copy (or web content) to make the sales.

Just like a sales copy, your site must OVERdeliver - tell your visitors what they want to know.

In addition to the content, you will need to build a tight, easy-to-use, and easy-to-navigate site - structured like a powerful pathway from the opening page to the closer.

Side Note: The complete guide on how to build a site that sells can be found in Ken Evoy's ground breaking ebook entitled "Make Your Site Sells! (MYSS!)". If you are serious about starting an ebusiness, you read this ebook first before you tackle the first step of the Big 3. Click here for more info on MYSS!.

From my experience, my non-SBI! site was poorly structured in the beginning. But this was because we could (and do) not want to offer our service to web surfers yet until it is further refined to my satisfaction.

As such, my non-SBI! site follows a standard local portal structure offering free bells and whistles, information, etc.

I did not really want to offer my planned service until I did my research - to find out exactly what people wanted to know about traveling to Borneo, and the problems they were having trying to book online. I also researched on the needs and shortcomings of travel companies in Borneo as well. With the information, I not only further improved my planned service, but also able to build unique web pages filled with useful content that can help solve those problems.

Finally, in 2002, when we introduce a travel service, we have to re-structure the site into more of a travel portal. But it takes much time to do this as it is not easy to literally transform the site overnight unless you want to start all over again. Until today, we are still transforming it slowly but surely.

Devoid of a perfect pathway from the main page to the closer, we have to ensure that our web content sells (i.e., I know our content sells by virtue of the fact that our sales had improved exponentially since 2002) - letting our visitors know straight away what's the site is all about, for whom, and the benefits of utilizing our service.

We might have got many thousand more visitor per day if my non-SBI! site was able to completely nail the second step of the Big 3, but I also know that we need to spend a lot of time and money to achieve this.

Money we may have, but time is our most precious commodity.

So, to help us out on this, I have to create another site, a complementing site that is equipped with a killer structure and content (i.e., my SBI! site). One that I can build very fast without the need for me to worry about HTML, SEO, Search Engine submission, scripts, etc.

And that is how and why my SBI! site came about.

You can read about my unbiased SBI! journey in my SBI! Blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home