Tuesday, March 28, 2006

First, Nail the PRODUCT/SERVICE!

The product or service is the step that is most controllable among the Big 3.

You are wholly in control of your own product or service. You either have a great product/service or you don't. Hence, it is important to spent much time to develop a product/service that OVERdelivers.

This is critical because if you sell a bad product or a poor service, your buisness will not sustain for long.

Take my non-SBI! site as an example.

It took me almost two and a half years to think of an excellent service that is unique before my site went online in late 1999. It took me another 2 1/2 years to refine my service before I started to offer my service (i.e., custom vacation package to Borneo) on the site.

At that time, my service was one-of-a-kind for several reasons - it is the first to provide travel packages that combine the four regions of Borneo, it provide trip advisories and travel tips, on top of helping to customize the most cost-effective vacation package.

And the technology and/or script I used is of the lower end. Nothing fancy, nothing splashy. Just a simple idea, just a simple process...

But I made doubly sure that the customer service and delivery system OVERdelivers - we treat our clients like kings and queens, and go to any length possible to meet their requests, no matter how petty they may seem.

If my service was not well thought-out or up to par, I can assure you that I can forget about nailing the other Big 2. Most likely, my site would not be around today.
In sum, nail the Product/Service first before anything else. Offer a product/service that no one is offering, of interest to others on the web, and most importantly, one that ethically helps your customers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home